Friday, June 11, 2010

Ahhh, the classics . . .

By Lonnie Cruse

Our local Sam's Club is carrying newly released paperback copies of Daphne DuMaurier's books. I grabbed a copy of MY COUSIN RACHEL, missed REBECCA, but found it elsewhere. I'd read REBECCA years ago, (wish I'd held onto that vintage hardback, sigh) but wanted to read it again. Haven't read MY COUSIN RACHEL, but I've seen the old movie version, so I wanted to find out how close the movie was to the book. DuMaurier's writing is a bit on the dark side. Certainly not romantic fluff, but definitely grabs you. And holds on until the end. You readers have a fave classic? One you'd buy again, if you came across a copy?

I love reading the latest books, particularly in mystery, but sometimes it's wonderful to re-visit authors like DuMaurier and re-read, even though I already know the ending. Besides, I tend to miss details on a first read, which is why I've read WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE by Shirley Jackson at least three times, and I'm sure I'll want to pick it up again at some point.

I remember reading WAR AND PEACE as a young adult. Enjoyed it, not sure I want to read it again. I wouldn't mind reading 1984 again, so some other oldies. IF I come across copies.

Wonderful thing about the Internet, you can find copies of almost any book you want to read, either at big name book sites or from sites that sell only vintage. A search will find them for you. I've gotten lots of books that way. Love waiting for them to arrive. For me, anticipation of a book is nearly as good as actually reading. Nearly. (And if you have an e-reader, there are tons of free copies of classics online.)

What book would you search for on the Internet and be willing to pay a possibly hefty price for? What classic would you love to re-visit? Care to share?

Happy reading! Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

signlady217 said...

"Shepherd of the Hills" by Harold Bell Wright. Anything (that's not a title) by Gene Stratton-Porter. "Cheaper by the Dozen" & "Belles on Their Toes", both by Frank Gilbreth Jr. & Ernestine Gilbreth Carey. "Papa's Wife" by Thrya Ferre Bjorn. Ok, this list could just keep on going and going! Way too many good ones!

Sandra Parshall said...

I own all of Isak Dinesen's books, so I don't have to buy them when I have the urge to reread parts or all of them. Her books about Africa are hauntingly beautiful, and her Gothic tales are stunning.

REBECCA is worthwhile reading for anyone who writes suspense. It's a masterpiece. And like you, Lonnie, I love Shirley Jackson's writing.

Elizabeth Zelvin said...

I still have Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle, but I'd love to reread any of her other adult novels. I think there were two or three--she also wrote 101 Dalmatians. Any of Peter Dickinson's adult mysteries, though my favorite, King and Joker, was reissued by Felony & Mayhem Press, so I've got that one. I was sorry he turned to YA, though some of those were exceptional too.

Katherine Tomlinson said...

Funny you should mention Shirley Jackson. I lost my copy of The Haunting of Hill House ages ago and really need to replace it. I read it so many times I can still quote the opening and closing pages by memory. I'd also love to find a copy of The Sundial. She died much, much too soon. And it always freaks me out when I see her picture because she looked a lot like my mother.